Thursday, May 22, 2014

Welcome to the Peddie School EXP Summer Research Program Blog for 2014

Welcome to the Peddie School EXP Summer Research Program Blog for 2014

For our readers: welcome!  We are excited to share our adventures in labs with you.

A few reminders for our bloggers:
There are 21 of you, each posting at least 1x per week for 6 weeks - this will get long! 
Be sure to title each post with your Name, Week in Lab, and something useful.
Example: Amy, Week 1: Navigating Columbia paperwork and learning how to use the PCR machine.

In each post, include a background sentence or two.
Example:  I am halfway through my research in mitochondrial diseases in Dr. Smart's lab at Duke. Last week we discovered mice have no mitochondria and we were trying to get the time machine to work. 
And lastly...
Pictures are always nice! 



1 comment:

  1. I started my lab on Monday at doctor Buccella's lab at NYU. I was originally suppose to be working on a project that studies and tests fluorescent sensors to see how well they detect magnesium in cells, but I am actually working with a different graduate student on a different project. I do not understand this project entirely yet, but I'll try my best at explaining it. In histones there are 4 proteins. We are working with one kind of protein called arginine. Through citrullination, arginine changes to citrulline. My grad student, Jessica, made probes that we tested on the first day. We tested them (on a UV spectrometer) with urea to see if it detects the urea. Yesterday we made a reaction involving butylurea and phenylglyoxal. We then tested this on an HPLC machine.

    -Kristen Silvi

    ReplyDelete