Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Alex Baum- The Cohen Lab- CHOP/UPenn- Week 8


Hi everyone this is Alex and this was my last week at the Cohen Lab at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. I had the most amazing eighth week!

On Monday Dr. Crider came to visit and it was great! Thank you so much Dr. Crider! We went to lunch close to the UPenn campus and it was really nice to hear about everyone’s research and summer experiences. The one-minute delays are still long and I was in the lab from 9 until 4 every day this week finishing them but I ended up getting really great results!

I met with my graduate student on my last day to discuss the results I gathered from the T-maze and how to analyze all of the data. I copied and pasted all of the numbers onto an excel chart and I am going to compare numbers from the no-delays, 30 second delays, and 60 second delays using T-tests and standard deviation. Because the data is so simple, it can be analyzed in many different ways.

My set of mice was labeled F group. There were A, B, C, D, and E groups before my group. Two UPenn undergraduate students did the same research as me for two of the groups before me but Colin and Dr. Cohen did not trust their data because their results were off and because they did not handle the mice well. I was told on my last day that he completely trusted my data because I was so careful with my data collection and because I was better than the two undergraduate students with handling the mice.

I have to calculate the T-values for each set of data to determine whether or not the data I have gathered is scientifically relevant. They want there to be a bigger difference in memory between sham and injured animals in the lab. My research was to see if there is a scientifically relevant difference in memory of sham mice between 30-second and 60-second delays. Dr. Cohen and Colin both asked me to work in the lab next year and I think that I might! They said that I would be able to perform surgeries next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment