Monday, August 25, 2014

Jada Myricks- Chaiken Lab- Week 6 08/18/14

Week 6 Final Week at the Chaiken Lab



This is my final week at the Chaiken lab. I saw a very interesting presentation from a graduate student at the lab on how the cholesterol that makes up the lipid membrane on HIV was influenced when treated with various peptide triazole entry inhibitors. Even though his results were unexpected he figured out a new approach for his experiment when he opened up the floor for questions.

This week was shorter because I had a doctor and dentist appointment scheduled for the last two days so my last day was on Wednesday. I worked on my poster and watched Charles try to figure out what is wrong with the KR-13 we were using.

It was a valuable experience being in a real professional lab setting. I learned so much! When I entered the lab all of the equipment was foreign to me and I felt a little out of my element. Everyone at the lab helped me along and were patient with me. I am so thankful for everyone who has supported me and given this amazing opportunity. I also want to wish the Chaiken Lab a good luck in all their future experiments and endeavors. Their research is going to save a lot of lives.

Here is a picture of my lab (it's a tad outdated, but for the most part its on point)!

Chaiken Research Group

Thanks to everyone especially Dr. Peretz and Dr. Crider!
-Jada

No comments:

Post a Comment