Monday, August 25, 2014

Sophie Kennedy: B.I.O.S. Week 5


For my final week in Sam’s lab it was definitely the busiest one. For starters, Kevin was away all week- making our lab feel nearly empty but also giving the three of us a lot more work to do! Lea started her certification process and dove a few days that week while Annie and I caught up in the lab. It’s a funny feeling to leave people working in the lab and go diving; it was nice to see others doing it as well. Most of the week I continued collecting growth data pictures for Kevin’s maps and also collected and settled the planula from the porites. This week was exceptionally busy because of all the settling we needed to do in addition to all the growth and settlement checks. We were definitely caught off guard that the corals did not spawn in as high of numbers as the previous month. Sam thought this could be because they spawned quite a large amount in June. Our wet lab had also had a flooding problem that week, so we could have lost a lot of planula if the water was high enough to allow the planula to float out of the mesh containers.

Also this week Sam asked me to present what we do in our lab to all the other interns. I wish I could have presented our data but since Kevin and Annie presented before me, it would have been too repetitive.  I was happy to even have the opportunity to practice my presenting skills. Taking the pictures and videos that I had collected over the 5 weeks I was at B.I.O.S., I combined them into a short video. I wanted to speak during the presentation however, an intern the previous week used a video to present her data and that was what all the others raved about. So I went with a video instead. Listening to the other presentations really helped me understand what can grab the audience’s attention so I am looking forward to showing the future EXP students some tricks and my video!
Lab selfies 
Porites astreoides
Dr. Sam swimming to get the boat

No comments:

Post a Comment