Monday, June 16, 2014

Arman Grewal--Week 2--Dr. Shanks, UPMC

My second week was not as great as my first due to the fact that I got sick. We are not sure exactly what happened or if it was related to my lab. For the first two days of the week I was stuck at hope with a horribe burning in my hands and feet. I seemed to have an allergic reaction to something. One thing that seems to have fit the culprit is the use of latex gloves that I wore for the first time ever on Friday. I will not do this again!

When I got back to the lab we continue with the experiments. I was able to get 3 more trials in and I am making progress on my experiment. We sat down and looked at the big picture of what I am doing and where it can lead. There is a possibility that I could get a publication!

We have updated and changed the original experiment due to the discovery that the amount of DMSO that I was using may be the reason why the biofilm formation was so poor. We are not testing this, we are testing Dex's effect on the biofilm. This was a big discovery and will hopefully lead to more successful trials. It seems to have.

One of the problems that I seem to have discovered this week is a feeling of homesickness. The combination of fathers day and being sick seems to have made me really miss home and my family. This is the longest that I have ever been away from them, but I seem to be getting over the feeling now.

I had lunch with my PI this week and got to know him much better. Everybody in my lab just is so great!

Hoping for a better third week!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you got sick! That is a surefire way to get homesick, when you get sick without your parents for the first time! I'm glad you are doing better. It sounds like a great lab for you, and I am sure you are doing great work. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete