Sunday, June 29, 2014

Yvonne Zhou- Week 3- Lewis Lab

Greetings,

This week wasn't so eventful after all. On Monday, my mentor had an eye appointment so he was absent from the lab for the entire day. As I was changing the media for the cells, I noticed that the cells in the confluent control group were peeled off from the bottom of the wells, starting to aggregate, whereas the rest was fine. The lab ppl didn't figure out the exact cause, so we decided to continue on and see what would happen. I went to Chinatown that night and dined there. Unfortunately, the sketchy food taught me a lesson. I woke up with an intense stomachache the following day and could not travel to the lab. I was, however, mostly recovered on Wednesday. My mentor briefed me on the paper that he was trying to publish by September, which was on direct endothelization-printing the cells into the vasculature. We decided that I could do some coding and try to print the scaffold structure in two of the methods: cast coculture and print coculture. The latter one is harder regarding techniques utilised yet gives us a neater structure. I had more training on fluorescent and confocal microscopes. I was supposed to print out a structure coded by myself with Robomama on Thursday. Yet the World Cup was placed higher in the priority list, so we went to a bar to watch the game and had lunch. While everyone there was clearly a fan of the US team, I had supported Germany for eight years and held my belief steadfast. I attended my first lab group meeting after we returned - the lab was huge so ppl held meetings every other week. Three people presented and passed around the structures that they had been playing with. I was amazed by how the members at the meeting raised questions and suggested ideas to the presenters! They all seemed very intelligent. On Friday, I spent most of the day coding.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment