Friday, June 13, 2014

Yvonne Zhou- Week 1- Lewis Lab

Log Entry #1

I arrived in Boston on June 8th, a day before the internship started. The sublet is fine. Furniture is a little out-dated but after all, suspiciously usable. Great manual labour that day. Perhaps because I grew up in a city known for its convenient public transportation, I found the bus schedule here rather confusing. Buses don't come at a fixed interval and sometimes they don't get to certain stops. Besides, there are different schedules for weekdays and Sundays. Interesting.

The lab is bigger than I expected, located in two buildings. I basically spent the first week learning g-code (and printed a lattice), reading papers, and understanding others' projects.  I am to go through training for each machine(e.g. rheology tester and all printers) before I can actually get my hands on them. There's plenty that I need to comprehend and practice more, including cell culturing, preparing 3D printing inks, writing g code commands, and actually using the printers. I am very excited for the work to come.

Students/Researchers usually come to the lab at 9 am and stay until 6 pm. The commuting took me about 40 minutes. If there's anything I am surprised about the lab life here, it would be that I prefer PFS to the cafeterias here.:)

Peace.


2 comments:

  1. See, you don't appreciate PFS until you try other places!!!
    All joking aside, it sounds like you have a TON of complex material to learn. I am sure it will take some time, but once you have it figured out, you will know how to do something that so few folks (scientists included) know how to do - and you'll be a real asset to any school with a 3D printer!
    Good luck figuring out the bus schedules...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you end up living, and what building/part of campus are you in?

    ReplyDelete