Friday, June 13, 2014

Lynna Ye - Week 1: Ware Lab

I am working at Dr. Ware's lab this summer in Rutgers Newark!

It's only been a week, but hundreds of tubes have already passed through my hands.
The unlabeled tubes are the ones in which the original specimens arrived at the lab. I have to label all the other tubes that I use (4 for each specimen)!

Right now, I'm working on extracting DNA from the legs of South African dragonflies. This process involves a lot of pipetting and centrifuging and tube exchanges - all skills that I learned from Biotech during winter term. Thanks, Dr. Peretz!
Pipetting some buffer into a spin column

Getting the DNA into its final tube after one last centrifugation

After extracting the DNA from the legs, I place 2 μL of each of the resulting solutions on the spectrophotometer, which shoots a laser through the droplet and tells me how much DNA I managed to acquire after all my hard work.
The spectrophotometer
After I record the data into my spreadsheet, I place all the tubes of extracted DNA into freezer, where they will stay until it's time for the PCR.
~~~
Overall, this week has been very interesting. I've learned how to maneuver through the train station, extracted DNA from 74 dragonfly legs, and met many nice people in the lab - including, unexpectedly, a Whovian and two anime fans. My experience at Dr. Ware's lab has been lovely so far, and I hope to have even more great experiences as I get to know lab members better and find new tasks to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start to the lab! I am glad those biotech skills are coming in useful. When you get a chance, give us a little more info about your project's goals, since those were a bit murky when we last saw you!

    ReplyDelete