Thursday, June 12, 2014

Kristen Silvi (This is from June 5th) Week 1- Buccella Lab NYU

I started my lab on Monday at Dr. Buccella's lab at NYU. I was originally suppose to be working on a project that studies and tests fluorescent sensors to see how well they detect magnesium in cells, but I am actually working with a different graduate student on a different project. I do not understand this project entirely yet, but I'll try my best at explaining it. In histones there are 4 proteins. We are working with one kind of protein called arginine. Through citrullination, arginine changes to citrulline. My grad student, Jessica, made probes that we tested on the first day. We tested them (on a UV spectrometer) with urea to see if it detects the urea. Yesterday we made a reaction involving butylurea and phenylglyoxal. We then tested this on an HPLC machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment