Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Alex Hauschild - Shields Oncology Research Rotation - Week 7

Monday as usual started out with the weekly tumor board conference. As far as things I saw during my rotation, it was fairly usual stuff; PAM, melanoma, CHRPE, retinoblastoma...etc. Most of my day was spent on follow up phone calls, working on my poster, and filling spreadsheets with data. Tuesday was very similar; nothing of note really happened.
Wednesday was when the fun began for me. During my rotation we saw a patient who the doctor suspected to have an MYH11 mutation causing pupillary margin cysts (PMC) although could not really be quite sure of it until the patient mentioned that he also had a history of thoracic aortic aneurysms (TAA). This mutation is apparently very rare and only a handful of cases have ever been reported on it. The correlation between the TAA and the PMC was just discovered a few years ago. I also got to see my mom in action once more at the Wills Eye clinic. She took me to dinner in china town after work.
Thursday we witnessed an orbital exenteration (surgical removal of the area surrounding and including the eye). There were plaques and conjunctival surgeries as well, pretty typical stuff to watch in this clinic. After the exenteration, I decided to go to see Dr. Alex Levine's genetics clinic on the 12th floor. It was fun, and we got to see a lot of cool disorders, the names of which I struggled to even enunciate.
Friday was all  spent on my poster and other research before heading off with the students to a very good pizza restaurant for dinner. I then left for the train to go home for my mom's birthday.
Unrelated to EXP, I went to Johns Hopkins that Saturday. It was very nice and I was impressed by most everything there.

No comments:

Post a Comment