Monday, July 14, 2014

Arman Grewal--Week 5--University of Pittsburgh--Week 5

This week was probably the most exciting week so far. Not only did Dr. Peretz come visit, and we went out to a wonderful lunch with Rohit, but it was also the first week that I was completely by myself doing my experiments.

This was a very busy week. I did 4 experiments per day. The first was one trial of Predgnisolone's effect on Staph Epi, the second was Predgnisolone's effect on Serratia, the third was the diffusion of Moxi through contact lenses v. collagen sheilds, and Ketoralac's diffusion through contact lenses v. collagen sheilds. This was the week that I gathered a large amount of data on my experiments and Friday I had the pleasure of spending all day analyzing the data and inputting the results on Excel. The results that I found are very encouraging!

In addition, during lab meeting this week, I got the chance to peer review an article from Denmark. This was a very good experience because it taught me what to look for when writing a scientific article and also how to read through one efficiently. Most of the corrections that I made were grammatical, but still useful!

Outside of the lab, this was just a fun all around week. I was able to eat so much good food this week. My favorite restaurant was Burgatory and BRGR. They both make outstanding milkshakes and hamburgers. I was also able to meet new people in the UMPC hospital and make new connections that may prove to be very useful in my future.

I was able to go around with my aunt in my spare time and see patients with her. I was able to see very mild cases, and even was able to see a very bad case. The patients eye was very infected and it honestly did not even look like an eye. The only visible colors were red and white. Nevertheless, I am still completely set on being a physician.

In addition, I took a tour of the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon this week. I enjoyed both of these two colleges and could see myself happily at either of them.

The next week is going to be my last week here in the lab. I am sad, but all good things must come to an end. The lab is planning a goodbye party for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment