Sunday, July 13, 2014

Colby Saxton- Week 4, Linksvayer Lab, UPenn

         Hello fellow readers, the previous week was, unfortunately, less exciting than the ones preceding it. This week, my main partner on my project, Justin, was not here, and I was unable to make any progress on my own. But a few things I accomplished this week are noteworthy.
         I completed a pathfinder assay this week, but instead of leaving the trail barren for 3 hours to test the ant's pathfinder ability, I tested 2 ants every 5 minutes right after the trail had been established. This was to try to see at what time the drop off between normal ants and pathfinders occur. I did not see any punctuated drop off, but there was definitely a significant decrease in ability to follow the trail after 2 hours. although this does yield some useful data, I view it as more of a sidestep than progress towards my project.
         We currently have everything in place to test ants on the pathfinding program except, well, the program. I tried to download the program myself but, I was told that the program can only be run on Linux. The reason this is a problem is that only a download for windows could be found online. I was able to get someone from the IT department to hep me solve this problem, but to no avail.
         I was able to help many of my lab-mates this week by collecting Third Instar Eggs, fluoning new colonies and feeding.
         I would have liked to see a few videos of ants on the program this week, but it isn't a huge setback. Hopefully next week when my lab partner returns we can get the ball rolling.

Until next week,

Colby Saxton

No comments:

Post a Comment