Sunday, July 27, 2014

Colby Saxton- Week 6 (Final Week), Linksvayer Lab- UPenn

        Hello readers, this past week was my final one at the Linksvayer Lab. This week saw very little progress in my personal research, which only came in preliminary viewing of pathfinder ant walking videos. This week, everyone in the lab devoted their time to helping one of the lab-members in a large genetic cross mating project. This involved countless hours of removing pupae from colonies, weighing pupae, and setting up more colonies. I spent most of my time weighing pupae, a very boring process, which entailed weighing each individual pupae, one by one. By the last couple of weeks, my project has considerable slowed due to multiple factors, including problems with the ant tracking program, and others around the lab needing help.
        When Dr. Peretz visited my lab, she asked me if I would now like to pursue a field in research. This was the reason why each of us signed up for EXP, because it exposes us to a potential career field for each of us, yet, I was caught off-guard by the question; I had not thought about it at all. I gave a reluctant "no" to Dr. Peretz, but after careful thinking, I believe I have thought of a better answer. I think that only six weeks at one lab is not enough information to choose your career path on. I have not experienced nearly enough in the lab setting in only six weeks, and every lab works, researches, and cooperates differently. Although I did not see a potential future career at the particular lab I worked at, that does not mean I would not fall in love with another. The only answer I can conclude to this question is instead of learning that I would want to definitively have a career in research, I have learned to keep my options open and expose myself to all different fields of science; I can't make a decision from only one AP Biology class at Peddie for example, or 6 weeks at a lab at UPenn. The more you explore, the more you learn about yourself.
         I would like to thank Dr. Peretz and Dr. Crider for giving me this opportunity and wonderful experience. I would also like to thank my lab for a wonderful experience. Thank you Dr. Linksvayer for granting me the ability to work at your lab. We were a very close lab, and it would not have been this way without the wonderful character of each of my co-workers. Lastly, thank you to Dan and Jake Fine for giving me a wonderful living experience in the city.

Signing Out for the Last Time,

Colby Saxton


No comments:

Post a Comment