Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 4--Arman--Shanks Lab, University of Pittsburgh

This week was very exciting and stressful. I was working on two project simultaneously, the biofilm formation one, and the new collagen corneal shield one. This is the first week that I am working on this experiment.

The results that I have found in terms of my biofilm project are very exciting. Based off the data collected, I can conclude that Dexamethasome does not have an impact on Staph Epi or Serratia Biofilm formation in terms of absorption or growth. This (maybe) is the last week that I will be working on this experiment.

My new experiment is more interactive and hands-on. I have one PBS soaked contact lens, and one PBS soaked collagen shield in a 6 well plate petri dish. There is a filter between the shield and lens and underneath the filter is 1 ml of PBS solution. I add 40 ul of Moxi to the lens or shield and after x time, I take 20 ul of solution underneath the filter. I then put the 20 ul of soltuion into a 180 ul solution of PBS and after all of the samples are collected I calculate the concentration curve and I am able to tell the exact concentration of Moxi in the solution at every time point. The data that I have collected so far is promising.


The other projects that I am working on in the background is working on a proposal about the collagen shield experiment that I can send to the collagen shield OASIS in return for them sending us 40 free collagen shields. This is a big deal because each collagen shield is around $40. The proposal has already been revised three times and hopefully we are working on our last revision.

I am also reading articles already published on collagen shield and contact lens diffusion, and there is talk about a article being written and possibly published!


No comments:

Post a Comment